Become a Rugby Referee
To become a Society referee you will need to complete the Referee award course. If you have already done a course and want to become an active referee within the Kent Society, download an application form here:
Onwards and Upwards
After that, the sky’s the limit! Progress from then on is largely down to you. If you regularly attend Society Training Meetings and Fitness assessments, make yourself available most weekends for fixtures and keep yourself fit you could easily find yourself rapidly being promoted up through the grades.
Promising referees who demonstrate ability and enthusiasm may get invited onto one of the Society Development Squads which will give you access to a personal Coach and a Mentor and you will see your appointments improve, giving you a real opportunity to advance. The Society also have a Youth Development Squad (14-18 years) who are looked after as they begin their career in refereeing. The Society will appoint “young whistlers” to appropriate games within their age grade as they grow in confidence.
Benefits of Joining the Society
On joining the Society all referees receive:
- Their first year’s membership for £1 (for insurance purposes) subsequent years are £25 / £1.00 for students.
- For the first year, a free referee’s shirt (in subsequent years a new shirt every season free for those completing 6 games or more)
- After you complete your first 6 games for the Society, you receive our free standard kit package of shorts, socks, shower proof jacket and trousers.
- Feedback cards and score card books
- Reimbursement of mileage costs to games
- Training & further development
- Allocated to games of appropriate level